Friday 11 January 2013

MINDFULNESS AND MOMENTUM

Sub Drawing ongoing - Pauline Woolley 2012 - 2013

When this show is hung in May, it will be almost a year since it's conception.  It will also be the longest time that I have spent focused on one area of work without deviation.  I guess the solargraphs are an exception as they sit and collect their light for many months without any interference from me.   The sun rises and then the sun sets at different points in the sky depending on the season, while I continue to work on the Subterranean (and above) show.  I like the connection between the Sub work and solargraphs as it subtly points at bigger philosophical questions.

Usually I have more than one series on the go as creatively I am interested in a lot of things and exposure to a new technique, topic area or theory can send me spinning off in a different direction with a greed and desire to experience it.  There has been a difficulty to stay standing in one area over the months but applying mindfulness and a patience to explore thoroughly the subject matter and my creative application to it is starting to build the momentum to the final push.

I was talking this week with fellow friend and artist Paula Reid about creative processes that lead to the final piece being like an iceberg.  People see the 10% but they very rarely see the 90% under the surface of reading, researching, drawing, painting, photographs, visiting exhibitions, places and often failing.  I think a lot of artists hide well that 90% and sometimes I think it's a shame there isn't more transparency.  But then again, making work can sometimes be painful to face for yourself without the pain of showing it to others.