Friday 24 April 2015

WHEN NATURE LETS YOU DOWN OR WHEN PRE-VISUALISATION GOES WRONG

Evening Near The Pyramids 1896 - Ernest R Ashton


When I saw  this image by Ernest R Aston in the catalogue for the exhibition Drawn By Light a few months ago, I was reminded of a location I visited some twelve months back in the Canary Islands, a location and pre-visualisation I had been holding in my thoughts since returning. A pyramid is replaced with a volcano and a river is replaced with sea but to me there was a similarity in landscape shape.  Montana Roja stands proud against the sea and nestles closely to a long beach and since the first visit there I had always envisaged going back and setting up my cameras for tracking the sun.

Montana Roja - Pauline Woolley 2015

It wasn't until I spent a day there watching the sun sweep it's arc over me and past Montana Roja that my heart sank.  Yes, I knew where east and west was but I hadn't anticipated it's low level decent in an evening to miss what had become in my head a great image before it's actual realisation.

Pre-visualisation is essential to photography, but for me I often feel that my more organic approach to making work offers the more successful results.