Sunday 31 May 2015

DRAWN BY LIGHT

                                   


Drawn By Light did not disappoint me.  Set over two galleries at the National Media Museum in Bradford, the show is a striking collection of some of the earliest photographic images from The Royal Society Collection.  To see the work of Ernest R Ashton in the flesh was very special.  Under subdued lighting the soft but impacting photographs stood out and were the highlight for me.

Across the road at The Impressions Gallery The Caravan Gallery's extra{ordinary} was a witty contrast to Drawn By Light.  

In the bookshop I came across a postcard that had the image Subterrania: #3 Safe Haven from the series Fiona Crisp created in Boulby Mine and other underground locations.  The image immediately swung me back to the day I spent down there in 2012.  The green light of the safety shelter beckoning in the dark. I remember vividly driving past these refuges on the back of a Land Rover hoping that we would not need the 7 or 8 hours of life they could give in an emergency.  A different drawn by light in every meaning.

Subterrania: #3 Safe Haven, 2009 (postcard) - Fiona Crisp